Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Childhood Chapter 01-07

There was only one channel of shit on the T.V. to choose from.

Even though, we had only one channel to watch.

T.V. was not the biggest entertainment for us.

when we were between the ages of 10 to 14. ( 1970-1974 ).
We used to wait and count the minuets till the weekend arrives. It was like Christmas to all of us. Imagine a weekly Christmas.

Since my father smoked heavily (Abu Bess) Graven-A type of Cigarettes. While his father was heavily believer. We had to live far away from my grandfather's big house. Just to hide my father's love to smoking and playing cards with his friends.

This was strictly prohibited by older generation. It was like gambling and smoking Hash, nowadays.

When his friends used to visit us, my mom was making lots of Tea. Lots of it.

It looked to me like a huge tea party, going on every night from 7 PM until 12 AM.

I cannot forget the amount of shouts, screams and bad words they used to exchange. Sometimes my father tried to come me down, by saying things I could not understand at that time.

However, I assume he meant; " Son, we are friends. And this is just our way of claiming victories"

Those victories were keeping my father away from his dad and from us.

The national weekend was Friday only.

It has been almost six days since we were awaiting our little Christmas, get together. Finally it's Thursday. Therefore, my father rents a cab for two Saudi riyals (USD 0.57). Usually you pay SAR 0.50 to travel alone same distance riding with other passengers you do not know.

I remember reading the signs of establishments and companies; we pass by on the streets to my grandfather's big house.
I remember my father correcting my pronunciation or spellings, when I announce wrong company's name.

That was a joy for me because every time my father is correcting me, he was actually tilling me how much left of the road to Disneyland.

We usually arrive after noon (that is 12:30 pm) by the time our Godfather. Grandfather finishes his (Dhohor Prayer). The prayer number 2. at noon.

Once we finish kissing and hugging, we get together on one big lunch, full of meat and rice. Which we miss for the whole week.

My father admitted once, that his week was scheduled as to have vegetables, chicken, plain rice, and the last 2 days should be (meat or fish, at his father's. dinner) House.

Well my Grandfather helped too.

Food was not the biggest thing, to me and my sis who is two years younger then me.

the biggest challenge was?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come on!! you can't torture me like that! what's the big challenge?

I'll be waiting for next blogging..